Friday, November 9, 2012

November 9th, 2012

I'm having  a hard time wanting to write on this blog because it still seems surreal that this turn of events is actually real and not a nightmare.  We were able to go home on Halloween day and be with our family.  We really needed to regroup and see our other kids as well.  Brynn wasn't feeling great but did manage to put her costume on and get driven to a couple of houses.  We were in close contact with the pain team in Calgary and it took a couple days to fine tune Brynn's morphine and make sure we were giving the right amount for pain and not too much and making her sleepy.  The day after we got home I was concerned that her biopsy sight was a little red around the bandage.  We took pictures and showed our doctor and we got her on oral antibiotics right away.  By Friday- 2 days later however it looked worse and was an angry red color, very warm to touch and she was sleeping all the time.  We took her into emergency and got her on IV antibiotics.  We were scheduled to come back to Calgary on Tuesday to get treatment started but unfortunately her infection wasn't cleared up enough yet.  They switched her to a stronger antibiotic and she had an allergic reaction to it.  The last few days have been rough- she has had a few allergic reactions, 2 blown IV's, a few failed attempts at new IV's and high blood pressure requiring medication.  She is getting tired of the endless doctors needing to look at her infection site and a few ultrasounds, echo, ECG and other tests.  Right now she is in surgery getting her PIC line put in. The room feels so empty when she isn't in it! She is still in unbelievable good spirits most of the time even though she has been fasting since midnight last night thinking her surgery would be before noon and it ended up not being until 5:30 pm.
One of the hardest things about Brynn relapsing is that she is such a worrier and so smart.  She asks so many questions that I have no good answer for and it breaks my heart as a mother not to be able to take all her fears away.  She told the doctors she want to get chemo going right away because she is worried it is growing and spreading inside of her.  We are supposed to begin either tonight or tomorrow.  They will keep us here through the weekend to keep fighting this infection and then hopefully we will be home Tuesday or Wednesday for a little while.  Our kids at home are having a hard time- especially Sadie.  She is so strong and doesn't want to make any of this about her but I know she is keeping it all inside and it's hard to hide it all the time.  Her and Brynn have been so close and decided to share a room again when Brynn was done treatments last year.  She is such great big sister and I'm so glad for the special bond they share. 
Brynn just returned from surgery and is having some back pain.  Time to go be with my baby.... I'll put up more pics when I'm back and on my home computer.

4 comments:

  1. You guys have been thru so much. It breaks my heart. I know that between you and the lord, anything is possible! Brynn is such an amazing girl. We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, you are a wonderful mom. We are praying for the whole Lund family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy, I was almost going to just leave your blog without saying anything, because nothing I say will seem enough, but I just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you, and your family ,and love you guys. I know it must be hard to find that inner strength to go on and I feel for you , and my prayer will be that you will be able to find the strength that you will need now and in the future. Love you always, Kathy Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, thanks for updating us all. I have been really wanting to call you and talk and see how your holding up.. but I know this is a rough and busy time and I know your probably very overwhelmed..so know we are praying and thinking of you and Brynn and your family. I dont know why this trial is in your life right now but Brynn has been blessed with such a positive spirit and has touched so many lives already with it. She is so strong as are you and Kevin and your other kids, you are such amazing examples and we love you guys!! Keep the faith, I know the Lord especially is watching over you and your sweet Brynn.

    ReplyDelete